Sunday, July 27, 2014

Ninth Arch: Wholly Rock!

I caught wind of an arch named Wholly Arch documented by a Geocacher named gonehuntn and I have been hunting for it for a while.  It took me four attempts and some learning to locate this. This Arch is accessed by either Schroder Road (off Nemo road) or Highway 44. It is off FS6601.

This makes nine confirmed arches.

I have been learning that the right tools are vital to navigation in the Hills. Highway GPS is worthless off highway and outside of a car. Google and the other major online based maps don't have info on the forrest service roads and the IOS apps are crippled when there is no internet. Simply looking at the satellite image prior to loosing service or by saving a picture doesn't work because things look different from above or the images can be old. In the Wholly Arch example, what looked like a well used parking location was well overgrown when I was there. What worked for me was PDF Maps. The Forrest Service maps are free for this IOS app and it does not require internet access to show your location on the map.

Even with this app, I blew by a turn. I would recommend way pointing important turns and checking your location often.

No comments: